Night Owls Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Profile help and FAQ's

Go down

Profile help and FAQ's Empty Profile help and FAQ's

Post by DogManDan Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm

The following is a little guide on how to edit your profile now that you've created it. Of course, you should not feel pressured into adding any of the information into your profile should you not wish to, but the more that you do, the easier it would be to add you to the games you play, and the more you may find in common with other community members. So, without further ado, here's a small guide on what each section means and what to do with it. Oh, and remember if you make any changes, hit save at the bottom before changing pages!
Information:
* Denotes a required field
*Username
Now that you have it, you cannot change it. This is you.
*Email address
By default, this is set to the address you've used to register with. It is used to inform you of any private messages received, and other information in regards to NOG.
Change Password
speaks for itself.
knowing whether you're a guy or girl can be useful, especially if your username is a little bit vague. I'm sure the last thing any of our members wants to do is insult you.
Birthday
This will calculate your age and display this on your profile (not the exact date). You'll also more than likely get birthday wishes from other members if you've entered this information
whether you're on the moon, flying through space or in an ice station in the arctic, this is where you can add your location. Maybe you'll just put in the county you're from though.
Job/Hobbies
Why not share what you like? You might find there's othes here that like the same things too, work for the same company or even go to the same school as you.
Humor
What tickles you? Are you a dry wit person, or do fart jokes amuse you more?
Comments
Is there something else about you we should know? If so, this is the place to put it
NFSW-APEX
Do you play Need for Speed World on the Apex server? Pop in any names you use here so others can add you to the game!
NFSW-CHICANE
Same for the above, except names you use on the Chicane server instead.
OTHER PC NAMES
If you play any other game on your PC, throw it down in here, along with the game you're using it in.
PSN NAMES
Part of the PSN Network? Need some friends to play with? Bang in your name and let them find you instead!
XBOX NAMES
Got XBox Live? Here's the chance to put your name in and group up with others.
STEAM
Do you play games that are part of the Steam network? Why not pop your name down and find new people to play with.
ORIGIN
Perhaps you play other games by EA and would like others to join you. This is the place to add your Origin name
X-FIRE
Same as Steam, only spelt differently.

The following information will appear as a clickable button on your profile, should you wish to add it.

WEBSITE
If you've got a blog or your own webpage for a subject not covered here, this is where to put it. Remember, keep it clean!
ICQ NUMBER
Not to be confused with Social Security number, this is where to add your ICQ number if you have one.
AIM ADDRESS
Have an AIM name? Pop it in here then!
MSN MESSENGER
Same as AIM, except not the same network
YAHOO MESSENGER
Again, same as AIM and MSN messenger
Fancy having a chat with other members? Pop in your Skype name for them to come find and add you.
YOUTUBE
Are you a video making maniac? Or perhaps you've got just a couple of videos to share? In any case, here's where to show your work. (Please only link your own youtube profile)[br]
GOOGLE+
A recent addition and a place a number of members already use to hang out on so come find them!
FACEBOOK
The network the world and his wife are on. If you fancy sharing your page with us, feel free!
TWITTER
Many of the users, crews and even NOG itself is on twitter. Come follow us and we'll follow you!
Preferences

Here's where to change the way you're contacted

Allow members to contact me by email:
Defaulted to No. Change to Yes if you are happy for other members of the community to send emails directly to you. Can be direct or through a through a form which hides your email address.
(Admins have the ability to email/pm you regardless of your choice)

Allow members to send private messages:
Defaulted to Yes. It's suggested this is not changed, since there might be a time you need to speak or be spoken to without others having to see whats written. However, you can change it to No if you're advised to do so.
(Requires a certain amount of forum posts before you can utilize this function to cut down on new users spam. Admins can send messages to you regardless of your choice on this feature)

Associate your Facebook account:
Links your Facebook profile, I have never used the feature and cannot verify it works at this time

Hide my online status:
Defaulted to No. Change to yes if you're scared of us.
(Admins & Moderators can see you regardless of your choice)

Always notify me of replies:
Defaulted to No. Handy if you like to make sure you're on top of all whats going on in NOG, but if it gets busy there will be lots of notifications. Change to Yes if you're happy with that.

Notify by email when a new message has arrived in my inbox:
Defaulted to Yes. Change to No if you know you'll never miss a PM.

Notify by email when an Administrator/Moderator sends me a Private message:
Defaulted to No. If you change the prior setting to No, make sure to have this setting to Yes. At least that way you won't miss out on urgent or important information
(Admins have the ability to change this setting if deemed needed)

Display a pop-up window for new private messages:
Defaulted to Yes. Change to No if you don't want a cheery message letting you know you've got mail to read.
(The Forum Navigation bar will change to show you the number of new messages in your inbox even if pop-ups are disabled.)

Display a notification when new replies are written:
Defaulted to Yes. This feature allows you to see if another member has posted on a forum you're replying to after you hit reply, but before you've posted the response. This means you can possibly change what you're written to take the new comments on board too. Change to No if you like taking risks.

Always attach my signature:
Defaulted to Yes. Change to No if you'd like to save space on a reply.

Always allow BBCode:
Defaulted to Yes. Change to No if you never post pictures, links, videos or anything else that would require BBCodes.

Always allow HTML:
Defaulted to Yes. Change to No to disable that feature for you.

Always enable Smilies:
Defaulted to Yes. Change to No if they annoy you, or you're confident everyone will understand when you're simply being a little sarcastic instead of harsh.

Board Language:
Defaulted to English. Doesn't auto-translate the site if the language is changed.

Timezone:
Defaulted to your current zone. If it's wrong for some reason then you can change it, or perhaps leave it as incorrect if you'd like people to believe you're in a far off land.

Date Format:
Defaulted to Day, Month, Day number, Year, 12h time. Change to suit your own preference from a number of presets.

Signature
Here's the place to add a banner/image to the bottom of your posts to really give that personal touch. Please note, images must not be larger than (640x200). Please keep any banners clean (no profanity or nudity please). Use the [ img] [ /img] tags before/after your image to ensure it appears, with the link to the image inbetween the tags (tags should have no spaces in them).
(This is monitored and if in violation the Admin may delete and/or change your signature as needed with/without notification)

[color=white]Nothing to do with tall blue aliens, here's where you can add a little image that represents you. Please keep all avatar images within 150 x 150, and free from profanity or nudity. You can either upload an image from your computer directly, upload an image from another website, directly link to an image (although ensure there is no bandwidth issues so it doesnt' disappear) or perhaps simply pick from a number of default images. The choice is yours!
(This is monitored and if in violation the Admin may delete and/or change your Avatar as needed with/without notification)

Topics being watched
If there is a particular subject you're trying to keep on top of, it's possible to watch a topic for responses. This option is found towards the bottom of any thread. This area is to manage the topics you're keeping an eye on.

Favourites
Not applicable at this time
Facebook invite
Not applicable at this time

FAQ's

Do I have to add any of this information?
No, you don't. You're under absolutely no obligation to put anything on your profile that you don't want to. But, if you do it'll help other members find you in the games you play, or get in touch with you via any means you agree to.

Will you send me spam if I add any details?
No, we won't. NOG will not pass any information onto anyone else, but since this is an open forum we cannot guarantee the information you add will not be collected and used by parties outside of NOG. The majority of profile information is kept private to community members only, however information you post is done so entirely at your own risk and in acknowledgement that NOG is not responsible for any spam or inappropriate content being sent to you from outside the forum.

What if someone from NOG is abusing my information?
Although this is a very unlikely scenario, if it is confirmed that a member of the community is indeed using your infomation to either cause spam or other nuisance, inform either DogManDan or one of the Moderators as soon as possible. Using information about another member for malicious purposes is against the TOS of this site and will be dealt with swiftly.

Can I change or delete information from my profile?
The only information that cannot be changed is your username, and the only entry that is required to remain is your email address.

If you want to change to delete information, simply change or remove any text from the field you wish to change or eliminate, then hit save.

Does anyone have access to my password?
No. Not even the administrators have access to this. It is stored server-side. If you loose your password please make sure to contact an administrator about a reset, should the system reset tools not work.

Does anyone else have access to change my profile information?
Yes, only the Administrator of this forum has the ability to view & edit any and all of your information with the exception of your password. If you are found to violate a rule or have information posted that may be unsafe, it will be removed with/without notification to you.
DogManDan
DogManDan
Site Founder/Admin
Site Founder/Admin

http://people.ign.com/nog-dogmandan http://www.nogcommunity.com

Back to top Go down