Night Owls Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And some of my short stories

Go down

And some of my short stories Empty And some of my short stories

Post by Cat Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Night of No Moon

A torrent of hail pounds against my body, hitting me hard even through my thick fur. I run on, dodging down the slick mountain side around boulders that would spring up in my path suddenly. I had to find what I was missing. The light was gone, a blank hole somewhere above the black thunderclouds. I had to get it back.

I let loose a mournful howl, crying out into the dreary night. All that answered back was the sound of the hail hitting the trees and ground around me. I keep running on into the storm, jumping over trees that were felled with one quick strike of lightning, giving for that one split second a clear image of the area surrounding it.

The wind grips at me. The ghostly hands pulling at my fur, trying to keep me from going forward. Trying to keep me from finding my missing part. I shake my body hard, the droplets of water forming into small ice daggers as they escaped my fur into the night. Puffs of white billowed from my open mouth as I gasped air into my oxygen starved lungs.

I raise my head, narrowing my eyes to try to see through the hazy night. I had to find my light, where was she? I paw at the frozen ground, ignoring the sharp pains that dulled away into steady throbs against my pads. Where could she be hiding? I throw my head back and howl again, my voice becoming chopped in the wind.

She couldn't hear me. My light... I need you back! I let my voice die away, my eyes staring hard into the clouds. I wanted the light back, I needed the light of the moon to fill me with joy! I snorted, unable to cry in my wolf form. I stand back up and run again, heading forward in my hunt for my missing part. The storm continues to thrash at me, but I ignore it still. I'm determined to get the light.
Cat
Cat
NOG Forums Big Poster
NOG Forums Big Poster

Back to top Go down

And some of my short stories Empty Re: And some of my short stories

Post by Cat Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Ace's High, Joker's Wild

It seems life is a continuous game of trivial poker. Not one hand dealt is the same as the last, the endless possibilities of winning or losing are balanced on the draw of a single card. A single event really, that cascades through time like a ripple in the water from a dropped stone. It builds and shapes the characteristics that mark us as individuals and unique beings. We cannot help but to continue playing the game in hopes of getting a better hand after having many disappointing ones before.

We move tables so-to-speak when we reach critical stages of mind development. The dealer changes its form often, submerging into the hidden agenda that we all strive for- or at least try too- when we find something worth going after. We watch the other players who are caught in the same game, looking for any weaknesses that could be used to our own advantage of getting ahead everyone else. Subtle hints that could increase our odds, no matter how insignificant it could seem.

We ponder on choices, to replace and change the cards of the current game or to keep the ones we have and hope for the best. The turnout for the game will always be veiled tightly in darkness. A cross network of paths leading to different ends stretch out before us, which will be the best to conquer we often wonder as we weigh the possibilities. No matter how comfortable the current hand is, we can't help but to see what more the deck has to offer.

So we pick one card, fingers holding tightly to the corner and whether we notice it or not, we often choose to take that second 'if' card, placing them face down upon the current table. The ripples adding to life's stream, but we will only notice that later when we change a new hand. We look up at the current dealer, Life, and say "Two." We are going for the Ace's high and Joker's wild.
Cat
Cat
NOG Forums Big Poster
NOG Forums Big Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm

City Wonder

Do you ever get that feeling that you were being watched, yet you knew you were alone? My skin trembled and I shook my body to smooth down my fur, sniffing the air in front of me. I smell nothing besides the usual stink of the city even here in the city park. The tang of asphalt from the nearby roads still found its way to the heart but that was nothing compared to the smell of human trash that overlay it. I sneezed hard to clear my nose of the smells, turning my head to lick my shoulder.

I never worried about changing in the city. Everyone assumed I was a huge half-breed wolf dog, ha! As if, but city folk wouldn’t know a wolf from a dog even if it bit them. I suppressed the urge to go do just that to prove my theory right. However tempted I may be, I knew I mustn’t draw attention to myself. An urge to go forward into the trees flashed across my mind. I shook my head hard, tilting it to the side as my eyes narrowed.

Unbidden I find my paws walking forward, one in front of the other, until I stand just outside the tree line. Something wasn’t right, but I couldn’t quite pin it down. My eyes swept the trees slowly, watching for signs of movement. Leaves on the nearby trees rustled from a sudden draft of wind. It played across my nose, bringing the scents of the city mixed with pine, oak, tulips, and very faintly- the smell of death.

A growl rumbled low in my throat, vibrating throughout my chest. My lips curled up and I bared my teeth at the invisible threat. A vampire was lurking somewhere close, which accounted for that feeling I had earlier of something watching me. Waves of power rolled through the air bringing a thick iron smell along with it. My growl broke off as my black fur stood on end when the vampire appeared a few feet in front of me.

His pale skin stood out against the shadows the trees provided; the rest of him was covered in black clothing. So cliché, you would think they could wear something other than that color. I snorted, shaking my head hard and bared all of my teeth at him, growling loud as I hunched down. For minutes we stood our ground, neither moving as we stared at each other. His yellow eyes glowed from his latest feeding, I could make out the drying blood still evident on his chin.

A cloud passed overhead, blocking out the light from the moon. My eyes widen as he disappeared from in front of me. I whip my head to the side a fraction too slow as he caught me with a harsh kick in my ribs. I went flying through the air, landing many feet away on my side. I grunt as I roll from the impact, leaping to my paws to catch his arm with my teeth. I bite down hard, breaking his skin before he shook me off. I faced him, growling as fierce as I could while licking my teeth.

He laughed at my threat, smirking his sharp fangs at me before running forward with his hand held flat so his nails could stab me. I jumped over him as he came closer, kicking my back legs out at his head. He ducked and spun, trying to aim a punch up at me. I twisted mid-air and flashed out at his hand with my teeth, raking across his skin as I cleared his reach. He let out a startled cry and ran at me before I finished hitting the ground.

Unable to stop him, he grabbed me behind my neck, pulling on my skin with both hands. He lifted me up and spun around, swinging me into a tree. I let out a pained yelp as the air was driven from my lungs by the impact, the sharp pop of my ribs breaking sounded in my ears. He continued with his spin, throwing me up in the air and punched me in the chest as I came down. I braced myself as I hit the ground, sliding on my side over the grass before coming to a stop.

I lay there gasping for air, each breath I took made stars swim in front of my vision. I raised my head and shook it slightly to clear it, almost passing out from the pain in the process. Bloody foam formed on the side of my mouth when I breathed out, not a good sign. I’m going to have to shift back soon I thought distantly as I climbed slowly back to my paws growling. My vision didn’t want to line up and the stars were still gathering in front of me.

I sniffed the air in front of me as I tried to figure out where the vampire went. My heart skipped a beat causing the growl in my throat to stop dead as a familiar scent came to me. The vampire mistook my pause, laughing from the trees. “What’s wrong little wolfie? All scared and all alone? Where is your pack, little wolfie?” I turned my head in the direction of his voice, giving him my best wolf grin, my tongue hanging out to the side with blood dripping from it slowly.

He hissed loudly at my show of mockery towards him, running at me quickly across the clearing. I tensed my body preparing to defend myself from his attack as he got closer. The scent came again as the stars multiplied, a cold warmth with honey, carrying a beautiful singing howl with it. The vampire stopped in his tracks, his eyes narrowed at something in front of me. The stars in my vision grew brighter until I had to close my eyes against the light.

The smell of her cold warmth ran through my body and I felt my pain easing away until it was completely gone. I opened my eyes slowly, looking at the spot where the stars had been. She stood there with her head held high, her white and tan fur raised around her neck as she growled fiercely at the vampire in front of us. She glowed softly in the moonlight; just as beautiful as the last time I had seen her. I yip her name happily. Luna.

I could hear the vampire sniffing the air in front of him. “Is this some kind of trick little wolfie? I’ve never seen your kind do that before.” He tilted his head to the side as he expected some kind of reply from me. I obliged him with a half growl and bark, pawing at the ground. Shows what you know. I walked forward until I came to stand next to my spirit mate, licking her shoulder in greeting.

She turned her head and looked at me with her piercing grey eyes, catching sight of the bloody foam that escaped my lips. She leaned forward, licking my lips clean, whining softly at me. Are you okay my sweet? I licked her under the chin, wagging my tail slowly with my ears pressed back against my head. I am now.

“Well, well, it does seem to be a touching reunion and all, but I must insist on you cutting it short. You see, I have this urge to taste little wolfie’s blood tonight for trespassing into my territory.” I whipped my head around to face him, growling with bared teeth. This is my City, blood bag! I sneezed his smell from my nose, licking it clean as I continued showing him my teeth.

“Oops, did I intrude?” He laughed loudly as he slapped his leg. “I tend to do that a lot, but you see, the benefit of being a Master Vampire is… I don’t have to worry about staking in someone else’s territory because… well, frankly,” he looked at his nails, rubbing them against his black shirt, “I kill whoever it belonged to anyhow. It will be mine by the nights end. Indeed little wolfie, you are trespassing on my land.”

We crouched down as he ran at us, quicker than our eyes could follow. Or so I thought. As he got closer it felt as if time slowed down. I could see the vampire clearly, like he was running in slow motion. I looked up at Luna and she yipped at me. My power is yours to use, sweet one. We will drive this monster from our home. I looked back at the vampire, smiling as he got closer. We leapt forward together, me going for his throat and her for his stomach.

Time sped back up as my teeth clamped tightly around his throat, my jaw muscles pressing them deeper into his flesh. He flew onto his back from the force of our hit, a gasp of surprise coming from his lips. I growled as he tried to punch me off, pounding into my chest. My eyes found his as I squeezed my jaw harder, feeling a soft crunch come from the middle of his throat. His eyes widened in dismay as their glow grew dimmer and his hits softer.

I continued biting down even after he stopped moving, continued going through the layers of flesh until his head rolled free of his body. I snorted down at it, turning around to kick it away from the body. As soon as day hit, the body would become ash if none of the other vampires found it first. I lifted my head and looked at Luna, going to her and resting my head on her shoulders as she did the same to me. She licked my shoulders softly. This way.

She walked to the side, going between the trees and into the shadows. I whimpered at her retreating back, turning to look at the body one last time. I shook my fur out, freeing some of the grass and dirt that had gotten stuck to me during the fight and followed her scent into the trees. I caught up to her and we walked in silence, our fur brushing against each other with each paw step.

We reached the small lake that was cleaner compared to most city parks, the stars and moon danced along the surface as the water lapped at the grassy shore. She walked into the water and disappeared under the surface. I watched as she came up in her human form, her blond hair streaming with water, her brown eyes just as piercing as her wolfs’. She looked at me and smiled, her white teeth dazzling in the evening light.

I licked my lips as I walked to the water. It was cold against the skin and weighed heavily on my fur. I took a breath and dove under, shifting easily as I reached where she stood. I break the surface right in front of her, gripping her waist with my hands. Her arms go around my neck to pull me closer to her. “Thank you for coming to help me.” I whisper softly before we kiss.

Her lips are soft and gentle on mine, melding perfectly. She tastes of honey as we deepen the kiss and our hands explore, touching and scratching over each other’s skin. Eventually we break the kiss gasping for air as we gaze at each other, the sound of the gentle waves in the background. “I will always come to help you, my sweet.” She laughed softly as she wrapped her arms tightly around me.

“Just call and I will come.” She whispers into my ear before I feel her sharp bite on my neck. We hold each other close before she disappeared into a thousand sparkling stars. They swirled around me before shooting back into the sky. I stare up with a grin on my face, walking back to the shore as I shift. I stand on the shore of the lake and shake my fur out before throwing back my head to howl loudly into the night. This is my place.
Cat
Cat
NOG Forums Big Poster
NOG Forums Big Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 pm

The Cell

Drip… drip… drop... creak. Water echoes across the cell, assaulting my ears. I hang limp, broken, beaten, and bloody- a reflection of my inner being. Rusted iron chains criss-cross across the room weaving a metal bound web. Thick shackles bind my wrists and ankles; the skin long rubbed raw with dried black blood trails streaking down my naked body.

A single light shines down on me, swaying back and forth. The creaks of the bolts added to the echoes of the water dripping. The sounds have long become a background noise in my mind, drowning out my quiet sobbing the first few days of captivity. I’ve lost count of the months I have been here as my blood pooled beneath my hanging body.

Maybe it had been weeks ago, I can’t remember, but the last of the floor has disappeared beneath my black-red blood. I never grow hungry as I hang chained, for I am nothing physical- yet… still I bleed. Still I am here broken, beaten, and bound. I move my arms and rusted dust fell over me, covering my body in its orange color. It stung and I screamed, passing out into that comforting blackness once again.

Drip… drip… drop… creak. My eyes flutter open, my vision blurry from the hours of being unconscious. The light above me continues to move back and forth, sending my shadow dancing across the walls. Free but trapped as well, mocking me with their movement. My hair hangs loosely around my hanging head as tears drip down my nose to merge with my blood below.

Deep slashes mark my body, the blood cleaning away the rusty dust as it traveled downward. I’ve never seen what causes these wounds for they come without warning, ripping through my flesh from the inside out. Older scars of these wounds wove under the newer ones, the flesh tender and easily broken under any move I’d make. I learned long ago to stay as still as possible. But sometimes the urges override my will and they would run freely with my blood over and over again.

Sometimes I would hear soft whispering playing along the walls. It would come from everywhere all at once and I would shout, yell, beg, scream, and cry for those voices. They sounded so happy and I wanted to be free to join those whispers. Long after my voice would go hoarse and raw from my attempts, the whispering would fade away into a sensation of watching eyes.

Drip… drip… drop… creak. Those eyes… I can always feel their hatred piercing through the darkness of my cell. I could feel them watching as the cuts would appear on my body and feel their glee from my pain as the bright red blood would flow. They would watch me for hours as the water dripped and the light swung. Only when they got satisfied of watching my torture would they close and the sensation of being studied would disappear.

Tightness runs across my left side, traveling from the middle of my chest and wrapping around to end at my tailbone. I squeeze my eyes shut and scream, throwing my head back as I hear and feel my skin ripping apart. It sounds very much like the ripping of thick cloth as it vibrated through my bones. Distantly I could hear the droplets of blood hitting the floor below as I continued screaming in agony with each new cut. I could feel the warm blood flowing down my legs.

The whispering… it’s back. I shudder with wracking sobs, breathing hard as I strain my ears to make out the voices haunting my cell. I grunt as the small cuts appear along my arms and fingers, watching in horror as my skin began to peel away, layer by layer. The voices grew louder and I pleaded with them, tears running down my face and neck, save me, help me, stop this from happening… anything.

Drip… Drip… drop… creak. Soft laughter joins with my screams and the hate-filled eyes appeared once again. My skin continued to peel away, dropping to the floor as blood covers every inch of my body. Fire burned everywhere, the pain unbearable as my screams died away. My breathing is shallow; my blood joins the floor in a steady flow. Laughter echoes inside the cell as the light turns off. Drip… drip… drop.
Cat
Cat
NOG Forums Big Poster
NOG Forums Big Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down