Night Owls Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So apparently, truth hurts. Badly.

+2
whitefoxy
trickeh2k
6 posters

Go down

So apparently, truth hurts. Badly. Empty So apparently, truth hurts. Badly.

Post by trickeh2k Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Today I was banned from the NFSW forums. Why? Well, there was an ongoing thread regarding cheaters which is quite common. After reading through a few of the responses I was about to make a reply but when I hit submit the topic had been closed down by Drew, not stating why and dodging the bullet about cheaters.

So, I made a response topic. Well... I think it's safe to say that they didn't appreciate it, lol. However, I can't read my PM's because I got banned and I received no e-mail with a notification on why I was banned.

I don't know, but maybe you can tell me what was so wrong with this post it deserved a ban?

So apparently, truth hurts. Badly. Douchefags

trickeh2k
NOG Forums Regular
NOG Forums Regular

Back to top Go down

So apparently, truth hurts. Badly. Empty Re: So apparently, truth hurts. Badly.

Post by whitefoxy Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Are you banned from the forums, can you still log into the game?

Well yea EA forums are getting up peoples butts for anything related to cheaters but posting in there forums. It's their quick fix for "preventing cheaters" getting information etc etc. Honestly they don't have a good system for dealing cheaters because of how the game was build and was no systems to stop it. They do deal many reports on cheaters but the process is slow.
whitefoxy
whitefoxy
NOG Senior Member
NOG Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by trickeh2k Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Yeah, only a forum ban my driver account is still intact. This was a ban from a mod, most likely Drew so EA is for once, not to blame.

They have no protection at all, well a small one but we all know how long it takes before a trainer is updated to get around that. If they actually knew how to prevent cheaters they would have done it by now.

I've been playing NFSW for 1,5 years now and the amount of cheaters has been more or less the same. We had a bright time around early spring last year when the guy who makes the trainers didn't have time to update it and do a new one for like two months.

I just find it sad that people accept this and thinks that a "work around" like doing only private games is acceptable. While I've had the most of the fun during private groups and races and doing crew battles with my crew - none of this would have been possible if i hadn't met people in mp lobbies and races.

trickeh2k
NOG Forums Regular
NOG Forums Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxtron Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Here's a question.

You're a developer of a game in the position NFSW is in with regards to cheaters, have hundreds, if not thousands of people continuously harassing you and your team to do something about them, with the only way of combating said cheaters would be to take the game down and completely recode it.

Doing this would make absolutely everyone who has paid money into the game immediately outraged, and a majority of free players also angry that the game they're happy with is gone. All revenue is stopped. Development could continue for a short time until the money runs out.

Not doing this would mean still having the endless stream of complaints from both free and paying players, however since revenue is still incoming from the people who are actually happy with the game, development can continue, albeit with the ongoing issues that are all too evident.

What would you do?

Another question. You're a moderator on a forum. Every single day, you see posts about a subject that won't be resolved by mere words being spouted by upset people. Do you:

Leave every post on the subject so that it ends up clogging up the forum pages and leaving the threads open to arguments, flame wars and abuse. Or;

Lock each thread on the subject, regardless of how many posts it has and without explanation because there are so many to lock. If someone then makes a rage thread about a post being locked, give them an incentive not to do so again by giving them a temporary ban.

What would you do?

One last question. Why continue to play a game you're that unhappy about? It's like going to a restaurant you know serves bad food, only to complain that your food was bad.

Last edited by Daxtron on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added another question.)
Daxtron
Daxtron
N.O.G. MODERATOR
N.O.G. MODERATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by DogManDan Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Let's simplyfiy this for everyone here. Trickeh its against the ToS rules to post the cheater topic, and the post you made call out Drew directly which is a no no so your dealing with the consequences. This has happened to everyone.

Now onto Daxtron, there is no need to re-code this game at all to add anti-cheat to it. It is a simple add-on feature that has never been activated merely because EA does not want to pay the extra costs involved. See the thing is we all still sit here and play the game and spent uber amounts of money. Communities such as ours have enabled players to come together for PRIVATE racing and have vinyl contests and such. It is almost because of the communities that EA does not need to do anything because we are still here regardless of the cheaters.....

But it does not take more than a simple update to add the anti cheat and removed all but actual code breakers from the game. Did I mention most of the cheaters are boost buyers so it affects there bottom line.
DogManDan
DogManDan
Site Founder/Admin
Site Founder/Admin

http://people.ign.com/nog-dogmandan http://www.nogcommunity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxtron Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm

DogManDan wrote:Now onto Daxtron, there is no need to re-code this game at all to add anti-cheat to it. It is a simple add-on feature that has never been activated merely because EA does not want to pay the extra costs involved. ..... But it does not take more than a simple update to add the anti cheat and removed all but actual code breakers from the game. Did I mention most of the cheaters are boost buyers so it affects there bottom line.

Ah, my bad. I'd always been given the impression it would take pulling the game apart and putting it back together again to work. I didn't think it'd be an easy task though.
Daxtron
Daxtron
N.O.G. MODERATOR
N.O.G. MODERATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by XKJGX Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Daxtron wrote:

Ah, my bad. I'd always been given the impression it would take pulling the game apart and putting it back together again to work. I didn't think it'd be an easy task though.

But it is costly and where talking about EA. Money is everything to them (duh). It will take many people to stop paying for the game and with people still feeding money into it, EA doesn't seem to care if their id cheaters, as long as they are getting their pay check
XKJGX
XKJGX
N.O.G. MODERATOR
N.O.G. MODERATOR

http://nfskjg.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reloaded12 Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:18 pm

lol bro, dont feel bad...i've been banned 3 times in-game and 2 time on the forums Very Happy does that make u feel better?

*just trying 2 help

reloaded12
NOG Forums Regular
NOG Forums Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by trickeh2k Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Daxtron wrote:Here's a question.

You're a developer of a game in the position NFSW is in with regards to cheaters, have hundreds, if not thousands of people continuously harassing you and your team to do something about them, with the only way of combating said cheaters would be to take the game down and completely recode it.

Doing this would make absolutely everyone who has paid money into the game immediately outraged, and a majority of free players also angry that the game they're happy with is gone. All revenue is stopped. Development could continue for a short time until the money runs out.

Not doing this would mean still having the endless stream of complaints from both free and paying players, however since revenue is still incoming from the people who are actually happy with the game, development can continue, albeit with the ongoing issues that are all too evident.

-Here's a food for thought.
You have a game which you already have hundreds of thousands of already paying customers which have contributed lots of money for the devs and the game not getting a satisfactory product in terms of cheaters (which is one out of many). This game is actually one of EA's big cash cows (it has a small team, low maintenance cost and huge profit). We've seen lots of improvements since Marc left (don't know if that is just a coincidence though), but we're still struggling with many other bugs etc.

Now, to get a NFSW working with a proper cheat/hack blocking tool would indeed require a total rebuild and re-code of the whole game. If that wasn't necessary we would have seen one long time ago. Cheaters hurt any game in a bad way so they obviously can't build a proper protection. They could build a new game side-by-side of having the NFSW still running. However, this would require a grant from EA which I'm not suspecting is done. This game will probably run for at least two-three years from now if not longer, but eventually there will be a replacement which is probably why the team still is so small and not much is happening with the game except new cars being added.

What would you do?

Another question. You're a moderator on a forum. Every single day, you see posts about a subject that won't be resolved by mere words being spouted by upset people. Do you:

Leave every post on the subject so that it ends up clogging up the forum pages and leaving the threads open to arguments, flame wars and abuse. Or;

Lock each thread on the subject, regardless of how many posts it has and without explanation because there are so many to lock. If someone then makes a rage thread about a post being locked, give them an incentive not to do so again by giving them a temporary ban.

What would you do?

-Firstly, Drew isn't a mod. He is a community manager, meaning he's supposed to deal with the communications between the dev team and the community. The thread was locked down out of no obvious reason. There was no flaming harassment going on, people was merely discussing the current situation and thoughts about it and possible counter measurements. Locking down a thread like this, even if it's one out of so many just shows how weak and poor you are as a dev team, and Drew for failing to communicate with the community.

Locking down the thread only means one thing, they know they can't do anything about it and they know that people constantly talking about it is hurting business. Therefore, they lock it down and dodge the real issue. I'm suspecting you've been around long enough to know what little has been done about cheaters during the years.

One last question. Why continue to play a game you're that unhappy about? It's like going to a restaurant you know serves bad food, only to complain that your food was bad.

I'm not unhappy about the game. I love the game and it has been one of the best games i've ever played in my whole life, if the game was bad I wouldn't care to be a forum member and have raked up that many posts. I love the restaurant, the food is great but the people working in the place are terrible and whenever I'm questioning why people who are not standing in queue for a table, waiting to get served and pays for their food -I'm banned from the restaurant.

trickeh2k
NOG Forums Regular
NOG Forums Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by trickeh2k Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:38 pm

DogManDan wrote:Let's simplyfiy this for everyone here. Trickeh its against the ToS rules to post the cheater topic, and the post you made call out Drew directly which is a no no so your dealing with the consequences. This has happened to everyone.

Now onto Daxtron, there is no need to re-code this game at all to add anti-cheat to it. It is a simple add-on feature that has never been activated merely because EA does not want to pay the extra costs involved. See the thing is we all still sit here and play the game and spent uber amounts of money. Communities such as ours have enabled players to come together for PRIVATE racing and have vinyl contests and such. It is almost because of the communities that EA does not need to do anything because we are still here regardless of the cheaters.....

But it does not take more than a simple update to add the anti cheat and removed all but actual code breakers from the game. Did I mention most of the cheaters are boost buyers so it affects there bottom line.

I'm not really following here. I did not create the initial topic about cheaters, that was some other guy at the forum. I just did a new thread sort of a RE on that topic and Drew's closing down of it because he closed down the original thread before i manged to post a reply. It's not against the ToS to call someone out in a forum, only thing I did was asking why he closed it down. I never called him any bad names, used inappropriate language or likewise.

If any of what I'm posting is against the ToS, it's wildly exaggerated interpretations of my post. If i that post is against the ToS it's basically like saying "STFU or leave if you have ANY complaints what so ever!" I'm a paying customer, I have been around for a long time. I should be entitled to voice my opinion of what I think is tolerable or not. I never meant to come off as juvenile or just another whiner. I'm an adult, I'm a paying customer that spent lots of money of this game and this is how a community manager treats me?

I laugh. If you're involved in any corporate structure and have a role like that, you're clearly not fit for the job.

trickeh2k
NOG Forums Regular
NOG Forums Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by trickeh2k Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm

reloaded12 wrote:lol bro, dont feel bad...i've been banned 3 times in-game and 2 time on the forums Very Happy does that make u feel better?

*just trying 2 help

Haha, thanks bud. I don't feel bad at all, it just made me laugh really. I just wanted to share this with others, just to make sure no one ever forget how they actually treat someone that's been a good customer and provided them with paychecks.

It's like they pulled my pants down, took a dump in it, pulled it back up and then just walked away, lol. It's just a like a relationship with a girl, communication is everything and they're clearly only interested in banging the living shit out of the customers Smile

trickeh2k
NOG Forums Regular
NOG Forums Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxtron Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm glad you answered honestly, and saw that I wasn't having a dig at you.

But, in answering my questions, you've also help explain exactly why it's near pointless in everyone making endless threads on the NFSW forums about the cheaters, or complaining when threads are locked in regards to the subject.

The dev team is indeed small. Asking them to not only work on getting the anti-cheat system in AND continue to develop the game as people are demanding isn't fair. It can be agreed then, that adding an anti-cheat system into the game isnt as easy as flicking a switch as is the impression most people have.

You're right. Drew is the community manager, but also has the role of a forum moderator. Essentially, you slammed him, saying he doesn't know how to do his job. Whether the post directed to him or not was factual, that's how it reads. But, as I mentioned above, if it's already agreed that it would take a lot of work getting a working anti-cheat system in and it's clear it won't be happening any time soon, from a business point of view at least, wouldn't you also lock these endless threads about a topic that has gone on, and will obviously continue for some years until the game's demise?

Ever thought that maybe some people are getting too close to the mark with their suggestions on what can be done to the game, which is also why threads are being locked and effectively buried? I know, I know, the majority of posts are just rage threads, but even the constructive threads can be just as damaging. Why? Because the discussions can give other people ideas on how to circumvent the potential new systems.

Whether you're a paying customer or not, it doesn't give you the right to question what an employee does on THEIR forums. I've not exactly skimped on getting the wallet out either, but I wouldn't assume just because I've added cash to their pockets it entitles me to make sure my voice is heard.

Oh, and there's a saying in the service industry: Management reserve the right to refuse service. That applies to quite a few businesses, including the gaming industry.
Daxtron
Daxtron
N.O.G. MODERATOR
N.O.G. MODERATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by DogManDan Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 pm

trickeh2k wrote:

I'm not really following here. I did not create the initial topic about cheaters, that was some other guy at the forum. I just did a new thread sort of a RE on that topic and Drew's closing down of it because he closed down the original thread before i manged to post a reply. It's not against the ToS to call someone out in a forum, only thing I did was asking why he closed it down. I never called him any bad names, used inappropriate language or likewise.

If any of what I'm posting is against the ToS, it's wildly exaggerated interpretations of my post. If i that post is against the ToS it's basically like saying "STFU or leave if you have ANY complaints what so ever!" I'm a paying customer, I have been around for a long time. I should be entitled to voice my opinion of what I think is tolerable or not. I never meant to come off as juvenile or just another whiner. I'm an adult, I'm a paying customer that spent lots of money of this game and this is how a community manager treats me?

I laugh. If you're involved in any corporate structure and have a role like that, you're clearly not fit for the job.

You created a topic calling out someone it is against the EA ToS. You cannot at anytime call someone out in particular a employee and expect to not get banned. THat is how it works. All your post was there for basicially was to start up yet another needless argument thread on the forums so I see why it was handled quickly. Regardless of whether or not you pay money you do not have a right to say or do anything just because you think you deserve that right.

Last and not least, I am very disapointed in your last statement and as such first this thread will be locked, second this will be your only warning here that is you ever disrespect me or anyone else on this forum again in such an outright bold statement yo will not be part of this community anymore. Were done here.
DogManDan
DogManDan
Site Founder/Admin
Site Founder/Admin

http://people.ign.com/nog-dogmandan http://www.nogcommunity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum